Skip to main content

A New Approach

I bet most of you are thinking this post will be about our kids. Maybe some kind of revelation we had to help make the days better, to spark the creativity and enhance the personality we know each one of our precious darlings possess. But instead, this post is about hockey which, to most Canadians, is almost as important as the children thing.

This past Saturday, I got to play in my first Church League hockey game and first actual game of hockey in almost 20 years. It was so fun. I have been sort of trying to get some equipment the past few years but was too cheap to buy any and for some reason, not telling anyone I wanted equipment didn't get me any. But as luck would have it, I did end up getting nearly an entire set of equipment for free. All I need is shoulder pads and maybe a sweater and I am set. On top of that, my good friend Craig has been hounding me to play all year. I kept saying, "Well, if I can get any equipment, then I will." Well when the equipment showed up, I was running out of excuses. I still have the shoulder pads excuse that was letting me hold off for a bit. But last Saturday, Craig asked me if I want to play and because he is heading out of town, I could use his shoulder pads. Great!! Now, devoid of any remaining excuses, I decide it is time to step back on the ice and showcase my skills.

Now, I should briefly explain my hockey career thus far. I started playing hockey young. I don't have any actual memories of playing hockey, but I do have some pictures so I guess I did. I do remember that in grade 4, I switched to goalie because, let's be honest, I wasn't good enough to really be out there skating around on my own. I liked playing goalie in street hockey with my older brother, but my love for the position quickly waned on the ice. First off, it's cold sitting there doing nothing. Sure you can make snow castles but that entertainment can only take you so far. Secondly, the puck actually hurts when you get hit with it, mostly because I was using a baseball backcatchers chest protector and it's not really meant to be hit with hard frozen rubber. And thirdly, I was really tired of missing smurfs on Saturday morning. Sad but true. So, at the end of my grade 4 year, I hung up my skates and devoted my life to Saturday morning cartoons which has served me well thus far.

We now fast forward to my grade 11 year in high school when I decided, "Let's give hockey another try." So, I got some equipment from somewhere and joined our high school team. But hockey was a bit different. This hockey was full contact and it became quickly apparent to all the opposing teams that I was easy game. I was my own highlight reel every game. Not the good highlight reel. The rock-em-sock-em one where I am always the one getting socked. But as I played I got better and better and by the end of the year, I was hitting more than getting hit. At least that is what I am told as I don't really remember playing hockey that year. But I have some pictures so I guess I did.

After my grade 11 year, I hung up the skates again... until last Saturday that is. Sure I had played in a couple of shinny games and some noon hockey games about 15 years ago but for the most part, no hockey for 20 years. And the first game I decide to play in, we had a grand total (including our goalie) of 8 players. That is enough for one line with 2 subs.

Now, I don't recommend taking a 20 year hiatus and then playing in a game when you are on the ice for 45 minutes, but amazingly enough, I feel I did pretty good. I blocked a shot, made some passes, and get this, I even scored a goal. We managed to pull out a 2-2 tie and I scored the tying goal. I was a hero. The team lifted me up on their shoulders (at least metaphorically because I think I was passed out on the ice) and we celebrated getting out of that game with a tie. It was a victory for us. And, to top it all off, I had just scored as many goals in that one game as I did my entire grade 11 year.

So it seems, at least for me, the more time I take off of hockey, the better I get. By not playing, I am actually increasing my skill. I wonder how good I will be in 10 years from now if I don't play again. I may become unstoppable. So that is my new approach. Stop playing something so you can get better. Everyone should try it.

Thanks Craig for pushing me to play and thanks Tim P. for the equipment. I had a lot of fun and look forward to playing again... if I ever get any shoulder pads that is. :)

Justin

Comments

TKP said…
Well I am glad to hear that your "hold out" worked... I hope you got the big signing bonus too! :)

Congrats on the big goal... give me a shout when the Leafs call you up, k?

Popular posts from this blog

They are here. They are really really here!!!

It was a cool day. Almost too cold. The kind of cold that makes you rethink your very existence.... Boy. I am waaaay to tired for that. So I will give you the un-dramatic version. So, we are getting bombarded with requests for an update and pictures. So I will oblige and provide you with all the gory details. Actually, there are no gory details. In what can only be described as an amazing answer to many prayers, the new Mooney babies were brought into this world with no problems what so ever. We entered the hospital at 10:00 in the morning and were taken to the surgery room around 12:00 noon. At exactly 12:38, the first baby, Dylan Michael was born weighing in at 6 pounds even. Then, also at 12:38, Evan Timothy also charged into the world weighing in at 5.2 pounds. Then, at 12:39 Liam David was born weighing 4.8 pounds. For those of you good at math, that is a whopping 16 pounds worth of babies. 16 POUNDS!!! And even though them just being born at 36 weeks and 5 days isn

And the final answer is....

Well, thank you all for your guesses. I found them interesting. I had one person guess 4 babies. I don't let him come to our blog anymore. Well, after 5 months of waiting, we have had the ultrasound and we now know what the gender is for each of the wee little gaffers. If you want to see, click the link below. The link should open up a new window so don't be scared. Click Here To See What We Are Having Now that is done, here are my thoughts. WARNING SPOILER BELOW. I am going to hide the text so as to not give anything away to those who do not want to know. If you want to see the text, you need to highlight it. For those of you who don't know how to do this, I recommend you just turn off your computer and find another hobby. Computer's aren't for you. Click and hold Mouse button here then drag your mouse to the end of the post. Congratulations on finding the secret message. So, we found out what they are at the "OH CRAP" Clinic on Thursday. We now c

The 2 Week Wait is Over

The waiting is finally over. Today was the day - after 2 long weeks of waiting - that I went for my official pregnancy test at the dr.'s office. I had done a couple of Home Pregnancy Tests so I pretty much knew what to expect. I have been praying constantly, as have many of you out there (thank you so much for that). Well, God heard all of us and we are happy to report that the test came back positive. We are really happy but also very cautious . It was only 5 months ago today that we lost our pregnancy at 5 1/2 weeks. We are going to just continue praying that God will watch over this pregnancy and that a healthy baby will be born. We give Thanks to God !