Skip to main content

Family Joy Project - Mary's Meals

How in the world do you teach your kids about the poverty in the world and here at home when they have so much more than they could ever need? 

I don't have some big philosophical answer to this. I just know we have to start somewhere. So, for our Family Joy Project we sat down and reminded the boys about how JOY comes in being Generous and in doing things for others. We tried to explain what life is like around the world.  And we showed them a youtube video called Generation Hope. It's the most recent mini movie made by Mary's Meals. 


Basically what they do is provide one meal a day to children - at school. They purchase the products from local farmers, etc. and hire local people. The best part - with my canadian dollar - I can feed one child for a year with $16. Seriously? An entire year? And it means they get to go to school? And grow up to go to college and have jobs and give back. Oh my goodness. 

We have supported Mary's Meals ever since I stumbled across the book "The Shed that Fed a Million Children".
Image result for shed that fed
There's another book recommendation for you. 



And Child 31 is the first professional video I saw that explains what they do really well. 

I would just love it if you would find time to watch these. It's full of beautiful people and hope and God's working in the world. And so much joy out of sadness..



And, yes, I'm totally writing this because I believe in what they do and would love to encourage you to be a part of it too.

Here's the link to the Canadian office for receipts and to read more about who they are.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They are here. They are really really here!!!

It was a cool day. Almost too cold. The kind of cold that makes you rethink your very existence.... Boy. I am waaaay to tired for that. So I will give you the un-dramatic version. So, we are getting bombarded with requests for an update and pictures. So I will oblige and provide you with all the gory details. Actually, there are no gory details. In what can only be described as an amazing answer to many prayers, the new Mooney babies were brought into this world with no problems what so ever. We entered the hospital at 10:00 in the morning and were taken to the surgery room around 12:00 noon. At exactly 12:38, the first baby, Dylan Michael was born weighing in at 6 pounds even. Then, also at 12:38, Evan Timothy also charged into the world weighing in at 5.2 pounds. Then, at 12:39 Liam David was born weighing 4.8 pounds. For those of you good at math, that is a whopping 16 pounds worth of babies. 16 POUNDS!!! And even though them just being born at 36 weeks and 5 days isn

And the final answer is....

Well, thank you all for your guesses. I found them interesting. I had one person guess 4 babies. I don't let him come to our blog anymore. Well, after 5 months of waiting, we have had the ultrasound and we now know what the gender is for each of the wee little gaffers. If you want to see, click the link below. The link should open up a new window so don't be scared. Click Here To See What We Are Having Now that is done, here are my thoughts. WARNING SPOILER BELOW. I am going to hide the text so as to not give anything away to those who do not want to know. If you want to see the text, you need to highlight it. For those of you who don't know how to do this, I recommend you just turn off your computer and find another hobby. Computer's aren't for you. Click and hold Mouse button here then drag your mouse to the end of the post. Congratulations on finding the secret message. So, we found out what they are at the "OH CRAP" Clinic on Thursday. We now c

The 2 Week Wait is Over

The waiting is finally over. Today was the day - after 2 long weeks of waiting - that I went for my official pregnancy test at the dr.'s office. I had done a couple of Home Pregnancy Tests so I pretty much knew what to expect. I have been praying constantly, as have many of you out there (thank you so much for that). Well, God heard all of us and we are happy to report that the test came back positive. We are really happy but also very cautious . It was only 5 months ago today that we lost our pregnancy at 5 1/2 weeks. We are going to just continue praying that God will watch over this pregnancy and that a healthy baby will be born. We give Thanks to God !