Skip to main content

A minor rant - likely due to too many days without sunlight or fresh air....

The sun is actually shining in my windows today. Thank goodness. I was feeling pretty gloomy from all that cloud cover. And maybe it will motivate me to get out of my pajamas. I'm actually having a bit of an internal debate. I'm wondering why we bother? I mean the little kids never leave the house (unless we leave town and then they just stay in the house wherever we've travelled to). It makes me want to cry. But, back to my point. I get the kids up and changed and dressed for the day most days. Then at night we take off their clothes, throw them in the laundry and put their pajamas back on. So, each day I have that small chore AND we make all this laundry. Then I do a load or two of laundry per day. SO - If we just stayed in our pj's all day (no one really sees us anyway) we'd have half as much laundry. HMMM.


It really is tough though - that my kids have so little variety in their life. We can't go swimming or skating or sledding. We can try some of that occasionally but only in the evenings. We are totally trapped ALL DAY LONG - EVERY DAY. Now - don't get me wrong. I didn't have to scrape my windows this morning or get ready before the sky was getting light. I get to be with my kids all day long which I am very grateful for. It just breaks my heart that we can't do anything. I keep thinking back to when it was just Caden and I. Every week we would go to the library, go to storytime, go swimming, get all our errands run, walk around Wascana Park a few times. A few times a month we'd go to the museum and then the science center when he got older. Luckily he's old enough now that he can go to preschool and has a couple of activities to do and some friends that visit. It just makes me so SAD that we can't do more. He's 4 and a half. I'm holding him back. And the little kids. They aren't learning those skills. Like how to be out in public with us. And just the different stimuli that naturally happens for them. Even if you are just running to the store. It's incredibly frustrating to me. I keep telling myself that it will change as they get older. And of course it will. But it doesn't change how I feel about the last year and the next one to come.

Comments

Jen, don't ever feel you are holding your kids back. There is no doubt in my mind that they love being with you, inside or outside. It's tough in the winter months because cabin fever hits us all, and yes it's easier when the kids are older because they can get their snowsuits on and play by themselves in the backyard.

Maybe, if you can, let E,D&L go outside in your yard just for a few minutes a day when Caden is at preschool. It'll do them good and if you throw your coat on to get some fresh air with them, it'll make your day a little better too.

And it's not like you have to get them outside every day...even once a week would be a good start.
Crystal Quilliams said…
Jen I used to think the same thing re: clothes when I was home with my two. I have to admit several times, it was pj's all day. I did read an article though that said you should dress like you are going somewhere and psychologically it gets you more active and self-conciously it feels like you have some purpose and less chances of depression. It made some sense even though it caused more laundry in the house! I'm sure the kids aren't even noticing winter setting in like yourself. From what I hear you are always doing stuff with your kids at home. You are a good mom. Take one day at a time and do the best you can in that day; that's all that can be asked of you!
Take Care!
CQ
I have a question about the retreat... do you know how much it costs? What time does it start the first night?

Popular posts from this blog

They are here. They are really really here!!!

It was a cool day. Almost too cold. The kind of cold that makes you rethink your very existence.... Boy. I am waaaay to tired for that. So I will give you the un-dramatic version. So, we are getting bombarded with requests for an update and pictures. So I will oblige and provide you with all the gory details. Actually, there are no gory details. In what can only be described as an amazing answer to many prayers, the new Mooney babies were brought into this world with no problems what so ever. We entered the hospital at 10:00 in the morning and were taken to the surgery room around 12:00 noon. At exactly 12:38, the first baby, Dylan Michael was born weighing in at 6 pounds even. Then, also at 12:38, Evan Timothy also charged into the world weighing in at 5.2 pounds. Then, at 12:39 Liam David was born weighing 4.8 pounds. For those of you good at math, that is a whopping 16 pounds worth of babies. 16 POUNDS!!! And even though them just being born at 36 weeks and 5 days isn

And the final answer is....

Well, thank you all for your guesses. I found them interesting. I had one person guess 4 babies. I don't let him come to our blog anymore. Well, after 5 months of waiting, we have had the ultrasound and we now know what the gender is for each of the wee little gaffers. If you want to see, click the link below. The link should open up a new window so don't be scared. Click Here To See What We Are Having Now that is done, here are my thoughts. WARNING SPOILER BELOW. I am going to hide the text so as to not give anything away to those who do not want to know. If you want to see the text, you need to highlight it. For those of you who don't know how to do this, I recommend you just turn off your computer and find another hobby. Computer's aren't for you. Click and hold Mouse button here then drag your mouse to the end of the post. Congratulations on finding the secret message. So, we found out what they are at the "OH CRAP" Clinic on Thursday. We now c

The 2 Week Wait is Over

The waiting is finally over. Today was the day - after 2 long weeks of waiting - that I went for my official pregnancy test at the dr.'s office. I had done a couple of Home Pregnancy Tests so I pretty much knew what to expect. I have been praying constantly, as have many of you out there (thank you so much for that). Well, God heard all of us and we are happy to report that the test came back positive. We are really happy but also very cautious . It was only 5 months ago today that we lost our pregnancy at 5 1/2 weeks. We are going to just continue praying that God will watch over this pregnancy and that a healthy baby will be born. We give Thanks to God !