Skip to main content

A Lone Light of Red in a Sea of Green

The date was Saturday, August November (thanks Crystal for the correction) the 7th, 2009. A day that will live on in the lore of an entire nation. It is the day the Rider's clinched first place in the Western Division. Their foes were the powerhouse team from Calgary, Alberta, the Stampeders.... my team. I wasn't going to go to the game but a day before, my friend Todd phoned me to offer me a free ticket. The only problem is I had to sit with his Rider Family. I thought long and hard about whether or not I should go, but my team needed me so who am I to say no to fate. In hindsight, perhaps I should have worn less Stampeder gear.

It started as soon as I stepped out of my car at Todd's house. There were boos and choruses of "Stamps Suck" and that was just coming from my friend Todd and his family. The brother-in-law (who got us the tickets) was even searching for some homeless guy to take to the game instead. But in Regina, even the homeless have season tickets so none could be found. They were stuck with me.

In the 10 blocks or so it takes to walk to the stadium, nearly every second car had to slow down, roll down their windows and yell some kind of Stampeder slur in my direction. I took it all and smiled back because I knew, the last laugh would be mine. Let the Rider faithful have their fun. Stamps will rule in the end.

Little did I know. Oh, so little....

When we arrived at the stadium, as you can imagine, the comments continued. All I could see in every direction was green. Even the grass which is usually brown by now was holding on until after the game to change. We slowly made our way up into the outer atmosphere until we found our seats, as far from the field as nearly possible. At first I enjoyed this vantage point. It was good to see the game unfold and be able to see everything that is happening. What I didn't take into account was the walk of shame after the game was done. The long, long walk.

Instead of stairs in the stadium, there are long ramps that go back and forth as they meander down to ground level. As I walked down these ramps, surrounded by the enthusiastic and heavily inebriated Rider crowd, I was the source of much, much jeering. Every time I would round one corner to start my descent, a Rider fan felt it was necessary to Boo me. It was kind of funny for the first 6243 levels, but after 6244, it was getting a bit old. Especially since about 10 other fans in the area decided to join in about half way down.

The jeers continued until I reached my car. I even stopped to have my picture taken with some rider fans who thought yelling in my ear and saying "Rider's are number one" and "Stamps Suck" would be a good photo op. I am sure it will turn up on face book somewhere.

At last, I reached my car and I shut the door. The peacefulness of that moment will live on in my memory for ever. The ordeal was over. I slowly made my way home pondering what had occurred. All in all, I had a great time. I enjoy the ribbing. It makes it fun. And partly I am glad the Stamps lost because if they had won, I may not have gotten out of there alive. I looked back on my evening happily, that is until I got out my car at home and someone drove by, rolled down his window and yelled "We're number one". Ah, Rider fans.

- Justin

Comments

TKP said…
I have missed your notes on here Justin - the only thing you neglected was the statement of repentance - the recognition of the error of your ways..... what have you learned? Anything? I thought not! :)
Crystal Quilliams said…
The date was...Saturday NOVEMBER the 7th!!!!! It's ok, I'll forgive you, it only makes sense, you being a Stampeder fan and all that you aren't quite with it. Now if you were a Roughrider fan, you'd be at the TOP OF YOUR GAME!!!!
We're #1 Justin, We're # 1!!!!
hahaha, just couldn't resist!
JJM said…
Don't cave Justin...hold on son...let your little red light shine!!!
Anonymous said…
Justin:
Why would you put yourself through that? You lived in Saskatchewan as a kid, went to school at WCC, were married here too, have lived here again a number of years, so where did your "rebellious nature" come from? I love the Roughrider shirts on your boys...way to go.
Bye now!! Aunt Sheila.

Popular posts from this blog

They are here. They are really really here!!!

It was a cool day. Almost too cold. The kind of cold that makes you rethink your very existence.... Boy. I am waaaay to tired for that. So I will give you the un-dramatic version. So, we are getting bombarded with requests for an update and pictures. So I will oblige and provide you with all the gory details. Actually, there are no gory details. In what can only be described as an amazing answer to many prayers, the new Mooney babies were brought into this world with no problems what so ever. We entered the hospital at 10:00 in the morning and were taken to the surgery room around 12:00 noon. At exactly 12:38, the first baby, Dylan Michael was born weighing in at 6 pounds even. Then, also at 12:38, Evan Timothy also charged into the world weighing in at 5.2 pounds. Then, at 12:39 Liam David was born weighing 4.8 pounds. For those of you good at math, that is a whopping 16 pounds worth of babies. 16 POUNDS!!! And even though them just being born at 36 weeks and 5 days isn

And the final answer is....

Well, thank you all for your guesses. I found them interesting. I had one person guess 4 babies. I don't let him come to our blog anymore. Well, after 5 months of waiting, we have had the ultrasound and we now know what the gender is for each of the wee little gaffers. If you want to see, click the link below. The link should open up a new window so don't be scared. Click Here To See What We Are Having Now that is done, here are my thoughts. WARNING SPOILER BELOW. I am going to hide the text so as to not give anything away to those who do not want to know. If you want to see the text, you need to highlight it. For those of you who don't know how to do this, I recommend you just turn off your computer and find another hobby. Computer's aren't for you. Click and hold Mouse button here then drag your mouse to the end of the post. Congratulations on finding the secret message. So, we found out what they are at the "OH CRAP" Clinic on Thursday. We now c

The 2 Week Wait is Over

The waiting is finally over. Today was the day - after 2 long weeks of waiting - that I went for my official pregnancy test at the dr.'s office. I had done a couple of Home Pregnancy Tests so I pretty much knew what to expect. I have been praying constantly, as have many of you out there (thank you so much for that). Well, God heard all of us and we are happy to report that the test came back positive. We are really happy but also very cautious . It was only 5 months ago today that we lost our pregnancy at 5 1/2 weeks. We are going to just continue praying that God will watch over this pregnancy and that a healthy baby will be born. We give Thanks to God !