Skip to main content

My Ever Growing Appreciation and AWE!!

So, awhile ago, Jen and I talked about the possiblity of her going to Ladies Retreat for the weekend of February 19th to the 21st. Of course my first response was, "For sure. No problem sweetie. You deserve it. So, how many of the babies are you taking with you?"

...

Then, when I woke up from the concussion about an hour later, I realized she means to leave me at home with all the babies and Caden for the entire weekend.

...

Then, when I woke up after hyperventalating and passing out, I did decide that for sure she did earn this weekend away. I can do this for a weekend right? RIGHT?? I mean, how bad could it be. (you women out there can stop giggling now)

As time moved on, it turned out that my Mom wanted to go to Ladies Retreat as well so her, my Dad and my little brother Josh were going to come up just before the weekend and then Mom and Jen would go up to ladies retreat and us MEN would hang out at the house for the weekend and take care of the babies. So now, I am thinking Woo Hoo!! This is going to be easy. I mean, 3 Men can at least make up for one 5 ft tall Mother right? RIGHT?

WRONG!!! SOOOO WRONG!!!!

I have never been so exhausted in my life and I have come to realize how amazing my wife is. Now this is no slight to my Dad and Brother. They were helpful. And they for sure made some things easier. But they are no Jen. It was non-stop running from morning till night all weekend long. It was a never ending stream of.... "Dylan...get off the table, Liam...stop taking Evan's soother, can someone get Evan a band aid, Caden... put some pants on, Dylan.... get off the counter top, Evan...stop running into the wall, LOOK UP for goodness sake, DYLAN...GET OFF THE CEILING FAN, Liam...are you peeing on the floor? SERIOUSLY?!?!?"

Then there was the constant pick up toys, feed babies, make bottles, do dishes, change diapers, pick up toys, feed babies, make bottles, do dishes, change diapers, change diapers ( I know I just said that twice but the babies now like to wait till just after you change them before they re-fill them with toxic waste) pick up toys......

ALL

WEEKEND

LONG

And NO there are no pictures. Are you kidding me. There was no time for taking pictures. We did the bare minimum. And by bare, I mean the kids wore the same pajamas all weekend long, there was no laundry done, I didn't make my bed, I didn't vaccuum the floor and I wore pajamas all day Saturday. When Jen finally walked into the house on Sunday, I cried and fell at her feet and begged forgiveness. Then I told her she is never going anywhere again and I promptly put a house arrest collar on her ankle.

...

When I woke up from my second concussion, I removed the house arrest collar.


In all seriousness, we do put in a lot of work. Day in and day out we put in a lot of hours trying to meet the needs of the kids, keep them happy, and keep up with the house work. And the repetitiveness of our tasks make the days seem long and can drive you mad. How Jen looks after all the kids all day until I get home and still manage to get all the things done that she does has to be one the great wonders of the world. And the only person she fails is herself. She doesn't take enough for her. She deserved this weekend and it was a pleasure to do, but she needs more.

So here is a call out to all her friends. Come and take her out of the house. Go for coffee. Go out to eat. Go to a movie... Whatever. But make sure she gets back home by 9 cause if you don't, she will fall asleep in your car and then you have to carry her in. I will already be sleeping in the house.

Thanks Jen. I Love and Appreciate You.

Justin

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SWEEEEEEEEET!!! Don't know how you do it and stay sane. Let's just agree that God is amazing!!

Brenda Coghlin
Anonymous said…
Well done Justin!! I hope Jen had a great weekend away. I agree with Brenda, I don't know how you guys do it, but those boys are beautiful, happy, and healthy... you're doing something amazingly right!
Nicola
Jen Mooney said…
Not every husband would stay home with this brood and I am ever grateful for the partner I have in this adventure. He picks me up when the exhaustion takes me down and he loves me and the kids so much. He's the best and thank you Justin for all that you do to make our life manageable right now while its in 'survival stage'.
Unknown said…
Oh Justin....that made me laugh out loud and then made my eyes water! You are right...Jen is amazing and such a wonderful mom. You are lucky. I think you're ok too:), especially since you finally cooperated with me at Jen's party. Now I have something to bribe you with for life:)

Heather
JJM said…
And you didn't even mention having to be the head chef and activity planner at the "Manly Carnivore Meal" and the "Manly Movie Night". You truly are one of the "INCREDIBLES".
Anonymous said…
Justin, you guys are both amazing with the kids! I wish I was closer so I could get out with Jen more as I absolutely would do it! I hope those Regina girls step up to the plate!
It often takes some time in the trenches for the others to realize how much work a mother does! Small but mighty, that's our Jen!
Vicki
Linda said…
That is priceless...thanks for sharing your experience and for letting your wife have a weekend getaway. I so enjoy reading your blog.
Thanks for sharing Justin. Steve apparently has never had a tough time with KJ&C whenever he's alone with them (which isn't often enough I must say!!). I'm thinking of installing cameras to find out the truth!! LOL
Unknown said…
Wow, sounds like it was 'fun'! So glad you didn't have to go it alone, and so happy that Jen got a well deserved weekend away. My only complaint is that I wasn't there too....

You guys are so sweet!
Carolyn said…
What a sweet post.....sorry tho that Justin has to get so many concussions - poor guy!

Popular posts from this blog

They are here. They are really really here!!!

It was a cool day. Almost too cold. The kind of cold that makes you rethink your very existence.... Boy. I am waaaay to tired for that. So I will give you the un-dramatic version. So, we are getting bombarded with requests for an update and pictures. So I will oblige and provide you with all the gory details. Actually, there are no gory details. In what can only be described as an amazing answer to many prayers, the new Mooney babies were brought into this world with no problems what so ever. We entered the hospital at 10:00 in the morning and were taken to the surgery room around 12:00 noon. At exactly 12:38, the first baby, Dylan Michael was born weighing in at 6 pounds even. Then, also at 12:38, Evan Timothy also charged into the world weighing in at 5.2 pounds. Then, at 12:39 Liam David was born weighing 4.8 pounds. For those of you good at math, that is a whopping 16 pounds worth of babies. 16 POUNDS!!! And even though them just being born at 36 weeks and 5 days isn

And the final answer is....

Well, thank you all for your guesses. I found them interesting. I had one person guess 4 babies. I don't let him come to our blog anymore. Well, after 5 months of waiting, we have had the ultrasound and we now know what the gender is for each of the wee little gaffers. If you want to see, click the link below. The link should open up a new window so don't be scared. Click Here To See What We Are Having Now that is done, here are my thoughts. WARNING SPOILER BELOW. I am going to hide the text so as to not give anything away to those who do not want to know. If you want to see the text, you need to highlight it. For those of you who don't know how to do this, I recommend you just turn off your computer and find another hobby. Computer's aren't for you. Click and hold Mouse button here then drag your mouse to the end of the post. Congratulations on finding the secret message. So, we found out what they are at the "OH CRAP" Clinic on Thursday. We now c

The 2 Week Wait is Over

The waiting is finally over. Today was the day - after 2 long weeks of waiting - that I went for my official pregnancy test at the dr.'s office. I had done a couple of Home Pregnancy Tests so I pretty much knew what to expect. I have been praying constantly, as have many of you out there (thank you so much for that). Well, God heard all of us and we are happy to report that the test came back positive. We are really happy but also very cautious . It was only 5 months ago today that we lost our pregnancy at 5 1/2 weeks. We are going to just continue praying that God will watch over this pregnancy and that a healthy baby will be born. We give Thanks to God !